Phones 4u started life in 1996 as part of the Caudwell Group. Now owned by private equity firm BC Partners, we have grown from a single shop to become one of the leading independent mobile phone retailers on the high street.
Our customers are youthful, fashionable and passionate about technology. As a result we sell only the latest and greatest mobile phones across all major networks and brands.
We know how to launch new mobile phones too. As the preferred UK launch partner of several global mobile manufacturers, we have created campaigns that innovate, inform and inspire. Take Samsung for example; in the summer of 2012 we were the official UK retail partner for the Samsung Mobile PIN pop-up experiences opening across London.
We have been recognised for our stand-out marketing, engaging social media and online activity, as well as our fashion-led market leading smartphone range.
A passion for excellent customer experience is the foundation of everything we do. We were the first mobile retailer to lead the industry in making our teams accountable for the way they sell.
We invest heavily in our people so that they can deliver unrivalled mobile expertise and advice. This has led to us winning the Mobile Industry Award for ‘Best High Street Retailer’ two years in a row.
In July 2010 we announced a partnership with Dixons Retail, which saw the arrival of Phones 4u store-in-stores in more than 150 Currys/PC World outlets. Our combined reputation and approach to customer service, choice and value have made the partnership a huge success.
We continue to act in response to our customers needs, leading to us delivering unique and innovative services like 4u Wi-Fi and JUMP. In March 2013 we launched our own network called LIFE Mobile.
We have over 680 stores across the UK, and 100 new stores were opened during 2012 alone – but we’re not resting on our laurels. Through 2013 and beyond we want to keep providing the best customer service with amazing products and a passion for what we do.
Phones 4u Ltd is part of the Phones4u Finance plc group of companies, which was acquired by BC Partners from Providence Equity in April 2011. The latest Directors’ Report and Financial Statements for Phones 4u Finance Plc for the year ended 31 December 2012 can be downloaded here. An update for the 6 months to June 2013 can be downloaded here.
- Over 690 stores on the UK high street.
- Over 150 store-in-stores in Currys/PC World as part of a commercial adventure with Dixons Retail.
- 100 stores opened in 2012 alone, with half of those adding to its extensive portfolio of store-in-stores with Dixons Retail.
- 2012 full year ‘total sales’ were up 20.7% with full-year like-for-like sales up 11.9%.
- Online sales continue to grow strongly with revenue up 47.3% in December year-on-year and up 73.2% for the full year (2012).
- Strong growth has primarily been driven by contract volumes which were up 34.8% year-on-year in December 2012 and up 26.8% for the full year.
- Over 5,000 employees.
- Over three quarters of Phones 4u customers say they would recommend us.
- One of the number one UK ‘mobile brands’ on Facebook with currently over 600,000+ page ‘likes’.
- Over £10million invested in the upskilling and training of our employees.
- One of the largest Ofsted accredited retail apprenticeship programmes in the UK.
- Winner of ‘Best High Street Retailer’ at the Mobile Industry Awards for two consecutive years (2012 and 2013)